Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Week 1 Weigh-In: 355?/348

My first post on this site was written almost three weeks ago -- or would that be exactly three weeks ago? Yes, I think it would be. At any rate, I've spent the time in between now and then ridding my house of junk food, slowing beginning an exercise routine, and basically building in some lifestyle changes. Lifestyle changes that seem to be working.

March 1 was my "official" start date, but I don't know of what because I am NOT on a diet. I'm trying to think of this as a new way of living, and my mindset is good right now. The primary tool that I'm using to help myself is www.fitday.com, a great website that allows you to track exercise, eating, weight, basically everything you need to know about your health. This site is really a god send to me right now -- I was having a lot of trouble getting my eating under control, but seeing the numbers, stark and undeniable, sort of shocked me straight, I guess you'd say. It's super convenient for me, moreso than keeping a traditional written food journal because a) there's a database of foods already available so you can just select the food and the amount and let the program do the calculations about fat, carbs, calories and protein and b) I'm on my computer all day anyway, so it's not a problem for me to quickly point and click in my foods when I've eaten something or done an activity.

Anyway, my loss this week has been anywhere from 2 to 10 pounds. I don't really know because my scale only goes up to 350 and I was definitely above that number for a while. I suspect the real loss is somewhere in between 2 and 10 pounds, probably more like 5. I tell you, it's quite a relief to finally be weighable again, though the scale can sometimes be the enemy! As I go through this journey, I'm going to try to remember that the number on the scale doesn't matter nearly as much as doing the things that will bring it down -- exercising, eating right, taking care of myself.

Cheers!

No comments: